The Difference between Decaffeinated and Caffeinated Coffee
People all around the world love coffee and it has been a part of everyday lives. It actually gives a boost to the people on an early morning and also when busy with work. Both the decaffeinated and the caffeinated coffee contains caffeine in it and an exceptional source of anti-oxidants. Caffeine is a natural substance and is extracted from coffee beans and is considered as a component that brings about a change in the central nervous system. It makes the person to stay alert and active as well as makes the drinker to stay awake. Due to the advancement in food technology and amplified choices, there are different varieties, flavors, and types of coffee available. So there is always an option available between caffeinated versus decaffeinated coffee and beverages like tea brews, stok coffee shot, soft drinks, cola drink etc.
The Decaffeinated coffee actually contains or uses coffee beans with the caffeine extracted. Practically all flavors are extracted from coffee beans and tea plants. The flavor is conferred once again into beans during the procedure of decaffeination. Brazil is a country which is a world leader in providing and supplying coffee, there are some companies that are endeavoring to hereditarily alter coffees, so it contains little to zero caffeine.
There are techniques used where some chemicals are used to extract the caffeine from the coffee beans. While other process like Water-based and carbon dioxide process is used to extract caffeine. In the water-based process of decaffeination the coffee beans are soaked and then steamed to make the coffee bean free from caffeine and then these beans are dried to eliminate moisture. Later the coffee beans are roasted, but the coffee is not totally free from caffeine but has a small amount of it. While in other process, carbon dioxide is used to make decaffeinated beans. The Decaffeinated has a milder aroma and taste compared to caffeinated coffee. The decaffeinated coffee contains up to 3 to 5 mg of caffeine each cup.
Benefits of Decaffeinated Coffee.
- Drinking decaffeinated coffee brings a lot of health benefits.
- It reduces the risk of high blood pressure.
- People who are sensitive to the regular or caffeinated coffee can intake decaf coffee.
- It reduces headaches, nervousness, and many heart-related problems.
- They help in reducing stomach ulcers and risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It improves digestion and best to keep you awake.
- It also reduces the risk of cancer due to its antioxidant property.
Unlike decaffeinated coffee, the caffeinated coffee is not subject to a fastidious procedure in producing it. For decaffeinated coffee, the caffeinated beans undergo procedures like decaffeination and filtration that helps to remove the caffeine present in it. The extraction procedure of caffeine includes use of solvents like benzene and chloroform during the process. Coffee is available in different style, but the most common one is the one with the blend of sugar and milk. Caffeinated coffee has a strong amount of caffeine content in it. These coffee beans do not undergo any filtration or chemical process like decaffeinated coffee. It also has a stronger aroma, taste and is superior to decaf ones.
Benefits of Caffeinated Coffee
- Caffeinated coffee is great in taste as well as there are some benefits it provides to us.
- It helps to stimulate the nervous system of a person.
- Increases concentration of a person and keeps you alert during a situation.
- Drinking a coffee with a moderate caffeine content helps to burn calories, reduces tiredness, relaxes the mind, provides antioxidants and enhances mental and physical performances.
Drawbacks of Caffeinated Coffee
Along with the benefits, there are also some drawbacks or disadvantages of drinking a caffeinated coffee. Anything taken in an excess amount can increase health-related risks.
- It makes it difficult to fall asleep
- It disturbs the sleep pattern and quality of sleep.
- Caffeine taken in excess quantity, increases the risk of nervousness and high blood pressure.
- Excess intake also causes gastric trouble and increased urination.
Caffeinated coffee creates problem to the health when it is consumed in excess quantity. Many studies say that up to 400mg of caffeine or around 3 cups a day is considered safe for most of the healthy adults.
Caffeinated or decaffeinated ?
It mostly depends upon the personal choices of every individual. Both the caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee gives you a good amount of taste that you need. Drinking coffee in moderation is the best way to have it. Both types of coffee have benefits but the drawback of decaffeinated coffee is that there could be less excitement, stimulation, and effect that a caffeinated coffee can give to you.
Whenever some person contains coffee, it is best to consider his/ her health condition and should be aware or knowledgeable about the caffeine content.
There are both positive and negative effects of both. So it depends upon the individual person to drink coffee that gives him good satisfaction and relaxation. Whatever the choice may be, But one should drink it in limited quantity to maintain a healthy lifestyle and to gain good health benefits.